- As of now Microsoft Dynamics CRM does not have an option that user can work with mobile application in offline mode.
- Dynamics 365 has introduced new feature that a user can work with mobile application in offline mode without connecting to the network.
- With this mobile offline mode also, you can achieve the same productivity which you can obtain when you are online. There will be no impact, if you are working under mobile application with offline mode.
- Only the System Administrator can be set up an option to select the option of Mobile offline for the selected entities and corresponding data that users can work with in offline mode based on business requirement. Filtering the right set of data for offline ensures effective utilization of your device memory and network bandwidth.
- Dynamics 365 provides offline service by replicating Dynamics 365 data in Azure, and synchronizing the data from the Azure to mobile client devices. An administrator can filter the data for offline usage at these two stages.
- Organization Filter
- Profile Filter
The Organization Filters applies only the entities which are customized with mobile offline option by the administrators and data that gets replicated in the Azure Middleware.
This data filter is applicable at Organization level.
To define Mobile offline navigate to settings –> customize the system –> components –>Entities –> select the entity –> General tab à you could able to see the option to enable it for mobile offline.
Please see the below screenshot.
- Once an entity is enabled for mobile offline, you can define organization data download filters on this entity.
- By default, one filter condition will be there, you can define the organizational filter criteria based on the business requirement.
Note: filtering can be applied to date-time, single line of text, option-set or whole number field attribute data types. But this filtering is not supported on roll-up and calculated fields and this filtering is supported only on searchable fields.
Note: We have enabled some entities out of the box for you with pre-defined organization filters for you to start working offline with minimum customization. You can disable these entities for offline, or edit the organizations filters of these entities based on your business requirement.
- Dynamics 365 out of the box entities by default provides the Organization filters to start working offline mode with minimum customization. If your business requirement does not required these entities to be in offline mode you can edit the organization filters to reduce the network bandwidth and improve the efficiency and productivity.
The System administrator can able to define the data that gets downloaded from Azure onto user’s mobile using mobile offline Profiles. The configuration for mobile profile filters navigate to settings à Mobile offline à Mobile offline Profile
The out of box profiles provides us to start working in offline with minimum customization.
We can use the same or edit it or create new profiles based on customer requirements.
You can define data rules on any offline entity in a profile using profile item . There are four filtering options to choose from in a profile item –
- Download related data only,
- All records,
- Other data filter and
- Custom data filter.
In profile item definition for an entity, you can select ‘All records’ to download all the records of this entity from Azure to offline DB on client. There will be no filter condition for this.
Advanced Custom Filtering
In profile item definition for an entity, you can select ‘Custom data filter’ to filter the data based on any field attribute. You can filter based on date-time, single line of text, option-set or whole number field attribute data types. This filtering is supported only on searchable fields.
After selecting ‘Custom data filter’ click on ‘Define filter rule’ to open a dialog box where you can define filter rules. You can define up to six rules. Each of these rules can also be combined using ‘AND’ and ‘OR’. Following is an example of the custom filter on Account profile item:
In this example, a user associated with this profile will have active accounts owned by her/him and modified in last seven days in the offline DB on client.
Filtering only on ownership
In profile item definition for an entity, you can select ‘Other data filter’ to filter the data based only on ownership. You can use this option in the organizations running on version older than CRM spring 2016. You have following set of filters to choose from based on the type of entity:
User or Team owned entity
- Download my records
- Download my team’s records
- Download my business unit’s records
- Business owned entity -Download my business unit’s records
- Organization owned entity - Not Applicable
Following is an example of other data filter on opportunity profile item
In this example, a user associated with this profile will have opportunities owned by her/him downloaded onto his client device for offline usage from Azure Middleware.
Filtering on relationship
You can also define rules to download data based on relationship. This can be achieved using profile item association artefact. For example, consider you want to download contacts only related to offline accounts. For this you add a profile item for contact entity and define filter to download only related data
And, on the profile item of account entity you define a profile item association to download the contacts related to accounts.
Advanced Customer Filtering on Relationship3
you can also further filter data on related entities using advanced custom filters3. This can be achieved by defining custom filters on profile item association same as on profile item.
In our example above, we further filter contacts related to offline accounts, to have only those related contacts owned by user and from a specified location in user’s client offline DB.