In Microsoft Dynamics CRM, rollup fields are designed to help users obtain insights into data by monitoring key business metrics. A rollup field contains an aggregate value computed over the records related to a specified record, such as open opportunities of an account. Also, you’ll be able to aggregate data from the activities directly related to a record, such as emails and appointments, and activities indirectly related to a record via the Activity Party entity. In more complex scenarios, you can aggregate data over the hierarchy of records. As an administrator or customizer, you can define rollup fields by using the customization tools in the CRM Web application, without needing a developer to write code.
Rollup fields benefits and capabilities
The benefits and capabilities of rollup fields include the following:
· Visual editing is easy. You can create rollup fields by using the Field Editor, just like you do when you create a regular field.
· Wide selection of aggregate functions. You can aggregate data by using the following functions: SUM, COUNT, MIN, MAXand AVG.
· Full filter support for aggregation. You can set various filters for the source entity or related entity while setting multiple conditions.
· Seamless integration with the user interface. You can include the rollup fields in forms, views, charts and reports.
· Rollup fields are solution components. You can easily transport the rollup fields as components between organizations and distribute them in solutions.
· Rollup fields and the calculated fields are complementary to each other. You can use a rollup field as a part of the calculated field, and vice versa.
ONE ROLLUP CREATION EXAMPLE
I am creating roll up field in company entity to find the count of employees in each company, goto company entity> fields>new field>field type>rollup>next click side edit button>gave name in rollup field (no of emp) >source entity keep it don’t change>related entity >gave required related lookup name(employee(companyref))>aggregation>count>employee>save and close.
Set the field in form>save >published. when I created one record in company. . It runs once, after you created or updated a rollup field. The job recalculates the specified rollup field value in all existing records that contain this field. By default, the job will run 12 hours after you created or updated a field. After the job completes, it is automatically scheduled to run in the distant future