A null field is a new feature in CRM. This tool is used to make an entire field to null of an entity selected. Null fields cannot be used for security fields and for some system entities (EX: Modified On, Created On, Status etc.). It can be applied on all custom entities. At one instance a field data can be set as null for large number of records.
Download setup File here
Step—1: Login CRM
- Initially login with CRM credentials using the Login Form. As shown below image.
- In the above Login form there are three types of Deployment
3. IFD (Internet Facing Deployment)
- In the above scenario an online deployment type is used. If an On-Premises or IFD is used a Domain name is required.
- Click on “Login” button.
- After entering the appropriate credentials the Login page will be Success or otherwise it throws “Login Failure” message.
Step—2: Login into Main Application window
- After clicking on “Login” button an another window appears as shown below
- Choose the entity from which the task has to be performed (making a field as NULL) as shown below figure.
- In the above window red color circle shows the selected Entity (Ex: Contact). All the entities are retrieved in that left side combo box as shown above image.
- After selecting an entity, all the related Attributes are retrieved for that Entity in the right side combo box as shown below image.
- Select the entity for the attribute that should be made as Null. In the above image “telephone1” field is made as Null
- For making a field as “Null” for bulk of records a “Fetch Xml” file is required . You have to download this Fetch Xml as per user requirement.
Step—3 :How to Download Fetch Xml file
- Navigate to Microsoft Dynamic CRM Home page à click on Advance Find button a window appears as shown in above image.
- After that a required entity has to be selected and a condition can be given as per the user requirement and then click on “Download Fetch XML” button, then Fetch XML file will be downloaded and save the file in PC.
In the above image For Example “Contact” Entity is a required Entity and condition is given “Status” is equals to “Active” .As per that condition only active records in Fetch Xml file will be displayed.
Step—4 : Browsing Fetch XML file:
- For Making a field as Null, Click on “Browse” button then browse the Fetch XML file where a file is saved in the PC(in the above image Ex: C:\Users\jayesh\Desktop\ContactFetch.xml is Our required Entity fetch XML file )
- Click on “Update” button then “telephone1” field is updated with Null value. After all records are updated a message will be displayed as “Updated Successfully” as shown below.
- After getting “Success” message click on “OK” button and see the Results in CRM.
Step—5: Result or Output:
- Before updating, “Contact” Entity’s “telephone1” field is having data. See the above image. Here “telephone1” is logical name of the “Business Phone”.
- After updating, “telephone1” field doesn’t have any data. Here field is made it as Null, See the below image.
1) If a Field contains default value then it cannot be set as null. If it is made as Null, then default value will be assigned to that field.
- In the above image, these type of Security fields data cannot be made as Null.